Roaster Roadmap?

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your code.  I appreciate that it is meeting your needs.  I have a few features I would like to add.  First, I would like to add the ability to track the progress of the tests from a remote machine.  I could do this by incorporating log4net and adding logging to the running of the tests.  In this way logging could be done to a file, or via one of the many log4net network appenders (such as the UDP one).  This would allow our build process to launch the unit tests and track their progress.  Second I am interested in supporting deployment of unit tests through a roaster server.  This would be a very simple file transfer protocol (maybe http or tftp) that would allow a build system to copy files to a remote device.  Then launch the tests and track the results.  I noticed that you have a Roaster.Client.Communications project, but it does not contain enough for me to guess at the direction you had in mind.  I am more than willing to do the work, but wanted to touch base with you before I start to ensure we are on the same page. 

Let me know what you think of my ideas.

Pat O

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Hi pdohara, 

Sorry I haven't been more active here at codeplex. I have had the exact same features in mind for some time. I do think your proposals are quite reasonable and fairly simple to implement.

But, after some time looking for a way to integrate compact framework apps into our regular build process I decided to have something more standard, because if you have to use a real device to do build and tests, you always find problems with connection, with config, it's really painful. Besides, you're so limited to the software platform loaded into the device, and normally if you're building cf apps regularly you'll find yourself packaging the apps for many different platforms and OS versions, therefore it would be ideal to be able to run all these tests for the different platforms after the build and that's definitely painful with the device.

What we are doing now to solve this is to prepare emulator images with the different OSs and platforms we want to test and then launch the emulator with a shared folder (which we use to copy files, software or whatever...). This turned out to be the most powerful way to do it, and so we avoid introducing more features in roaster. 

In any case, if you still want to go ahead with your features, feel free to download the code and make it yours. Just drop me a mail if you do, I'd be glad to know you built something useful on top of it.

Conver

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:49 PM
Thanks for the response. I will look into it.

Pat O

On 7 Apr 2010 04:34:10 -0700, "converdb" <notifications@codeplex.com>
wrote:
> From: converdb
>
> Hi pdohara, Sorry I haven't been more active here at codeplex. I have
> had the exact same features in mind for some time. I do think your
> proposals are quite reasonable and fairly simple to implement. But,
after
> some time looking for a way to integrate compact framework apps into our
> regular build process I decided to have something more standard, because
if